This morning I did some work to resolve the network discovery tools by applying windows updates. There were many .net updates to be installed.
I fixed the network discovery tools, but now i am having some other issues:
-request user field take forever to populate, and when it does it only shows 20 out of my 200+ users. Previously i would be able to type a name and the field would auto-populate. That is not working.
-It is also taking an extremely long time to close and save a ticket. At least 15-20 seconds. Much long than in the past.
--just noticed this also an issue with asssigned user field.
This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/03/2012 16:22:54