End User Portal
Submit an Incident
This page allows you to submit incidents to your IT staff. An incident is a problem or error that your IT department is responsible for fixing. An incident is a type of service record.
By submitting an incident, you give your IT department information about the issue you've encountered, and you create a record of the issue that they can refer to if they have any questions. Submitting an incident is the best way to ensure that your IT department fixes your issue in a timely fashion and gives you results that you're satisfied with.
Submitting an incident
Submitting an incident -- Required fields
When you submit an incident, it's recommended to give your IT department as much information as possible about the issue you've encountered. The fields on the Submit Incident form are designed to help you provide that information.
When you submit a new incident, fill out the following mandatory fields:
- By selecting the category of the problem you've encountered, the IT staff can automatically route your incident to the correct administrator. For example, if you have a printer issue and select the printer category, your incident can be automatically routed to the administrator who is responsible for all of your company's printers. This speeds up response time, and will help you get your printer working again as quickly as possible.
- When an IT administrator looks at his or her list of service records (including incidents), the title of each service record gives the administrator a summary of that SR. Therefore, by giving your incident a concise and descriptive title, you can immediately help your administrator to better understand what the problem is, and to more quickly determine a solution.
As you are typing the title of your incident, a list of suggestions from the FAQ
may appear. These suggestions are intended to help you find an FAQ article that addresses your issue and allows you to resolve your incident on your own. If you see an article that looks like it could help you resolve your issue, click on it to view the full article. Solving your own incident is the fastest way to get the service you need!
After entering a title for your incident, the FAQ will offer you
relevant articles designed to help you resolve your incident on your own
- This is where you give your IT department a full description of the incident. Be as descriptive as possible, but try to include only relevant information. The better a description you give, the more easily your IT department will be able to resolve your issue.
- This tells your IT staff how severe your incident is, and how important it is for you to have it resolved. Please keep in mind that if you mark every incident as Urgent, your IT staff will start to ignore the urgency you select.
Creating an incident from a Quick List
Some IT problems are more common than others, and your administrators can create Quick Lists for your use. When you choose a Quick List, SysAid automatically fills out the Category, Title, Description, and Urgency fields for you. This can save you time if there are common problems that you find yourself frequently submitting incidents for.
Familiarize yourself with the Quick Lists your IT staff has created for you. Also, after selecting a Quick List, be sure to add any additional information that the Quick List asks you for. (For example, you choose a "toner low" Quick List item. You still need to add to the description field which printer has low toner.) Keep in mind that not all incidents you submit will use a Quick List.
Select a quick list (optional)
Submitting an incident -- Optional fields
- Main Asset
- An asset is any physical IT device. The Main Asset list is configured by your IT department, and shows you a list of assets that you can submit incidents for. Choose the relevant asset from the list. For example, if you are reporting low toner for a printer, choose the printer from this list (if it appears). When you access the End User Portal by pushing the F11 hotkey, SysAid automatically selects your computer as the asset.
- Send screen capture
- This field only appears if you accessed the End User Portal by pushing the F11 hotkey. At the time you pressed the hotkey, SysAid took a screenshot of whatever was on your screen. That screenshot appears here. Check the box if you would like to submit the screenshot together with your incident.
- There may be times when you need to send a file to your IT department along with your incident. To do so, click the Add button next to the Attachments heading.
A popup screen appears where you can choose which attachments to add.
Add attachments to an incident
Click Choose File to browse your computer for the relevant attachment. You can select up to three attachments at once. Once you've selected all of the relevant attachments, click Attach Files to upload your attachments. Please be patient as the files are uploaded, especially if you have attached large files. The Attachments screen will close on its own once all files are successfully uploaded.
- Other fields
- Your IT department has the ability to customize the Submit Incident form. If they have done so, there may be fields that appear on the form that are not discussed in this help file. If this is the case, please refer to your IT department for an explanation of these fields and what to use them for.
Service record confirmation
When you have filled out all relevant fields on the Submit Incident form, click the Submit button to submit your incident. A confirmation page appears with your service record number.
Service record confirmation page
Please be patient as your IT department takes the time to review your incident and reply to you. If you'd like, you can check the status of any service records you've submitted. To do so, return to the End User Portal home page using the Home icon and then click on View Your Service History.