A WMI scan allows you to discover all of your Windows based computers without needing to install the SysAid Agent. Information collected includes computer name, hardware and software details, and more. You may later deploy the SysAid Agent in order to take advantage of all Agent functionalities, such as remote control, monitoring, broadcasts, initiating chat sessions, etc.
There are two ways you can perform a WMI scan: by domain and by IP range.
WMI Scan On Domain
To run a WMI scan on a domain, fill out the following fields, and then click Add. You may run a saved scan at any time by clicking Run now, and you can delete a saved scan using the Delete button.
- Discovery service name
- This is the service which performs the scan. For computers in the same network segment as your SysAid Server, you can use the SysAid Server itself as the discovery service. For network segments in remote locations or behind firewalls, you must deploy the remote discovery service, which will then show up in this list. Note that if the SysAid Server is installed on Linux, you must install the remote discovery service in order to perform a WMI scan.
- Choose the domain you would like to scan. If a domain does not appear in this list, it may not be accessible from the SysAid Server, and you may need to install the remote discovery service to access it.
- Run as user
- This is a username on the domain that has administrator privileges.
- This is the password for the user you've entered.
- Exclude host list
- This is a comma separated list of any hosts you don't want to include in the scan. Host = name of the computer as it appears under the "My Computer" page in Windows.
- Check this if you would like to scan to repeat automatically at specified intervals. If this is unchecked, the scan will run only once after you click Add.
- Next run on
- This is the first time the scan will run. This defaults to the current time of the SysAid Server, meaning that the scan will run the moment you click the Add button.
- Repeat every
- Choose how often the scan should run. This is disabled if the scan is not scheduled.
After initiating a WMI scan, a progress display will appear onscreen
WMI Scan via IP Range
Running a scan via IP Range is similar to by domain, but with the following differences:
- IP Range
- Input the IP range that SysAid will scan for computers.
- Exclude IP List
- Enter a comma separated list of IP addresses to exclude from the scan.
- If this box is checked, SysAid prepares a list of "live" IP addresses within your chosen IP range and scans these only. If this box is not checked, SysAid scans every single IP address in the chosen range. A quick scan is faster, but can miss any devices that go "live" after the list of IP addresses is prepared.
Refresh Remote Discovery Services
This empties the Discovery service name list. The list is repopulated as each instance of the remote discovery service that is still active reports back to the SysAid Server. This is used to remove old entries from the list once you've uninstalled a particular instance of the remote discovery service.