Windows 7 - Internet Explorer 8 - Windows Authentification

 
Author
Message
SysAider
11
 
We are currently putting to the test the latest Windows 7 Ultimate that has got out. We're runnnig Sysaid 6.0.4 on Windows 2003 Server 64bit. If we try to log on to the helpdesk at the windows authenfication prompt with IE 8 .... it does not work.... it keeps asking for the credential. If I use FireFox it works as long as i'm not entering the domain name.

Any ideas why the authentification does not work with IE 8 on Windows 7??

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May. 29, 2009 11:32 AM

SysAid Wiz
2449
 
Hey MachoMan,

This means that the browser (IE) is not passing the credentials to the SysAid server.

Make sure that typing the domain credentials allows you to login, and if it does, this means that SSO is configured correctly.

Here is how to set IE to pass credentials to the SysAid server.

1. In Internet Explorer, please go to the Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced tab and check the “Enable Integrated Windows Authentication” check-box.

2. Next, switch to the security tab and click Local Intranet -> Custom Level and select “Automatic log-on with current user name and password” (under User Authentication, Log-on).

3. Click OK on all windows and restart Internet Explorer (close all IE windows and open it again).

4. See if you can automatically login to SysAid. If not, perform step 2 on the Internet Zone as well and try again.

Best regards.
Haim
Pushing IT forward
SysAider
11
 
Hey Haim

Well I've tried this and same results ... I don't get why it's working with WinXP/Vista and not with Windows 7... it's the same IE ... might be a trust issue between Windows 7 and Windows 2000 domain although we have a local Intranet and it has no authentification problem with IIS and Shared folders what so ever.

Looks like a issue with Apache to me !
SysAid Wiz
2449
 
SysAider
9
 
We have a user testing Windows 7 and IE8 - He can login no problem, but SSO does not work for him. Any ideas?
SysAider
11
 
Support Team took a look at this, and they could not figure out the problem ... they are still working on it! Since that it's Windows 7 RC ... they might not make this a priority! It's working with FireFox for now but it still prompt for a login!
SysAid Wiz
2449
 
troax wrote:We have a user testing Windows 7 and IE8 - He can login no problem, but SSO does not work for him. Any ideas?


Hey,
Is that user can't use SSO in both IE7 and 8? please try the instructions on the 2nd post in this thread and see if this is resolved.
Which OS is he running on?

The issue with Win7 and IE8 with SSO is being investigated, we will let you all know once a solution will be found.

On firefox, can the user login after he place his user name and password?
If this is the case, you can use the below instructions to enable SSO with firefox:

1. In the address bar of Firefox, type about:config. This will show all the settings for Firefox.

2: Find the key network.automatic-ntlm-auth.trusted-uris. This is a comma-delimited list of all host-names that you want to use NTLM with.

3: Just enter your host-names like this: host1.mydomain.com, host2.mydomain.com

Best regards.
Haim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun. 03, 2009 10:29 AM

Pushing IT forward
Elite SysAider
181
 
In regards to the Windows 7 issues. We have tested it on our network and if we try to go through our proxy it immediately locks out our AD account. I haven't tried with SysAid, but it seems Windows 7 doesn't handle NTLM the same way Vista or XP did.
- Brian Martin

Unofficial SysAid Wiki - Most common issues and their solutions can be found here.
SysAid Wiz
2449
 
We have investigated the issue and found a solution that you can use to enable SSO on windows 7 systems.
To do it, please go to Local Security policy > Security settings > local policies > security options
Select Network security > Lan manager Authentication level and change it to "Send LM & NTLM responses"

Best regards.
Haim
Pushing IT forward
SysAider
5
 
Does this work with XP and IE7?
SysAider
1
 
Great fix, it worked for me.
Super SysAider
70
 
MachoMan -

I can suggest you to upgrade your SysAid to our latest version (7.0.05).
I assume this version will fix all your windows7 issues .

I case you are using SSO (Single Sign On) you will need to follow this procedure :
By default the NTLM protocol in Windows 7 is disabled. This protocol is required by SysAid to enable SSO. In order to enable SSO on windows 7 systems, please follow the below instructions:
Go to Local Security policy > Security settings > local policies > security options
Select Network security > Lan manager Authentication level and change it to "Send LM & NTLM responses".

Please test it first on one machine with Win7. In case it solve the issue you will need to define this rule as GPO.

Liran
Super SysAider
76
 
LiranCohen wrote:MachoMan -

I can suggest you to upgrade your SysAid to our latest version (7.0.05).
I assume this version will fix all your windows7 issues .

I case you are using SSO (Single Sign On) you will need to follow this procedure :
By default the NTLM protocol in Windows 7 is disabled. This protocol is required by SysAid to enable SSO. In order to enable SSO on windows 7 systems, please follow the below instructions:
Go to Local Security policy > Security settings > local policies > security options
Select Network security > Lan manager Authentication level and change it to "Send LM & NTLM responses".

Please test it first on one machine with Win7. In case it solve the issue you will need to define this rule as GPO.

Liran


I can verify without a doubt that this doesn't work in Windows 7 professional 64 bit or 32 bit. We have been dealing with this issue for months and Ilient has yet to resolve it.

Funny how when I called that they never mentioned that they've been dealing with this as far back as v7.