Linux Installation and Upgrade Instructions
The SysAid package is available as a Web Archive file (.WAR file) and should be deployed to an existing Tomcat web application server. You will receive a link (http://cdn3.sysaid.com/sysaid-server-linux.tar.gz) to download this .war file when you either purchase or request a trial of SysAid.
Installation with a MySQL database
- Install any version of SUN JAVA JRE 1.8. Java is available at http://java.sun.com/
- Install Tomcat 7.0.57. Tomcat is available at http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/
- Install MySQL version 5.x database server or above. MySQL is available in most of the Linux distributions and also available at http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/
- Create an empty database in the MySQL server.
- Deploy the sysaid.war file to the tomcat server. Usually you will just need to copy it to the webapps directory, and Tomcat will automatically deploy it. A sysaid directory tree will be created in the deployed location (default is tomcat/webapps/sysaid).
- Stop the Tomcat server.
- For SysAid Basic/Full editions only: Place the license file (activation.xml) in tomcat/webapps/sysaid/WEB-INF/conf/activation.xml.
- Execute the init-sysaid.sh script. The first and only required parameter is the location of the deployed SysAid web application
- Start the tomcat server.
- Try to access SysAid at http://<host>:<port>/sysaid.
(e.g. ./init-sysaid.sh /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/sysaid ). Follow the instructions in that initialization script.
If you have any questions or problems, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. In any case of error during installation, please attach the content of the logs folder at .../sysaid/WEB-INF/logs.
In order to upgrade your SysAid to the latest version, please do the following:
- Download the latest upgrade patch for Linux at http://www.sysaid.com/release-upgrades.htm.
- Extract the file that you downloaded. Note the name of the extracted file.
- Stop the tomcat service.
- Run the shell script using the following syntax:
- Restart the tomcat service.
sh <Extracted file name>
Upgrade instructions for Apache Tomcat
Starting with version 8.5, SysAid supports Apache Tomcat 7.0.57. The following steps explains how to upgrade Apache Tomcat from version 6 to version 7 after upgrading to a Linux installation of SysAid version 8.5 or higher.
To upgrade Tomcat from version 6 to version 7:
- Upgrade your SysAid to version 8.5.
- Install Apache Tomcat 7.0.57 (Can be installed in same folder as version 6).
- Move your SysAid folder (e.g. tomcat6/webapps/sysaid) to the Tomcat 7 destination folder (under webapps, e.g. tomcat7/webapps/sysaid).
- In the folder ../sysaid/WEB-INF/lib (e.g. tomcat7/webapps/sysaid/WEB-INF/lib), rename the following files:
- Start Tomcat.
Increase RAM for Java
By default, only 256 MB of RAM are allocated for Java. However, it is recommended to allocate 1280 MB for the SysAid server on a 32 bit OS and 2048 MB for a 64 bit OS.
To increase the amount of RAM allocated for JAVA for SysAid
- Backup the catalina.sh file.
- Edit the catalina.sh file located in the Tomcat bin directory.
- To increase the maximum Java heap size to:
- 1280 MB: please insert the following lines:
- 2048 MB: please insert the following lines: